Friday, October 29, 2010

Red Shouldered Hawk

Many people put out fake Owls to keep the birds off their boats….I don’t have to…015cs

It looks like it’s trying to fly off with the boat.

073cs

It saw something in the grass …..

048cs

Then it looked at the tree….and decided to sit up there awhile….049cs

What a beautiful bird.

035cs

It wasn’t afraid of me….but kept an eye on me as I walked around to get better pictures.

071cscs

It moved onto the feeder hangers and I decided to discourage that for a sitting spot and chased it away. I hated to see it leave…but I had no choice…..

087cs

Look at this face….such a handsome bird….and such a sharp beak.

048cs1

8 comments:

  1. What a magnificent hawk. And you got great captures. Can't blame you for ultimately chasing it off the feeders. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What stunning pictures. I love all birds of prey. I used to have a boss who was well into falconry, I learnt so much from him. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these photos. They are all nice and clear. And I would not chase him away. They will eat some of your worst enemies including snakes. They will not perch there forever, as they have to eat. Usually, they hang around here for a while because the birds hide inside the bushes because our hawks terrorize them. So he probably did the same there. He was watching trees nearby for signs of movement. Hawks and crows are some of the best friends a birder could ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got some fantastic shots! He would definitely keep the smaller birds away from the feeders, but how nice to have him come in so close and pose for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's a real beauty Carol.
    And what a stare he's giving you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great shots Carol! I love the RSH!

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pics.. :) I never knew about people using fake owls.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are great photos. I saw this hawk at a distance once and was impressed with its size and beautiful colors. Great job Carol! Joan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate the time you take to make a comment......If you ask a question, I will try to answer it here.