Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Green birds

I have been calling all my “green” birds females, when  in fact, young males resemble the adult females.  I normally see an adult male and a green bird come in together …and was calling them a pair.  So my small flock can be a mixture of mature birds and adolescent males…as well as females.

The mature males are all in bright color.3.31.09 005 c They usually head for their breeding grounds sometime around April.  Today is April 1st and they are still here…Perhaps they will stay and raise their young nearby.

1 comment:

  1. this blog really does make me envious all that wonderful wild life in your back garden excellent photography.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate the time you take to make a comment......If you ask a question, I will try to answer it here.