Thursday, August 8, 2013

Eastern Black Swallowtail 8.8.13

I had 2 big black tubs planted with parsley, trying to draw the Eastern Black Swallowtail to my yard. It is their host plant.

I wasn’t having any luck and decided I’d rather have bee plants in those tubs…so dug them up and gave all the parsley to my friend and neighbor, Debbie. Well…..guess what she has…..lots of Eastern Black Swallowtail caterpillars, chrysalis and butterflies.

This is a chrysalis she gave me….so very different from the Monarch’s or Queen’s. This is hung by two points, and makes me think of a seashell.  It was green yesterday…now it is empty.

002cs

Here is my Eastern Black Swallowtail.001cs

Such a beautiful butterfly.  It is now enjoying the great outdoors.

011cs

My Monarch caterpillars are growing….010cs

Two days ago this was the about the size of the one behind it, and the holes in the leaves are growing along with the caterpillars. Each day when I check them I am amazed at how big they’ve gotten. They are little eating machines…then they rest…shed their skin….and start eating again…each time they shed it seems they double in size.

013cs

Wont be much longer and some will be going to the top and pupating. I’ve video of a pupating caterpillar on the blog. Just go to the “search this blog” box at the top right and put in “pupating caterpillar” and it will bring up several posts.  The one on 2.22.13 has the video at the end of the post. Hope you enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work! I have Parsley in my garden but did realize that Black Swallowtails are attracted to it. I'll have to keep an eye on my Parsley.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate the time you take to make a comment......If you ask a question, I will try to answer it here.