Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Monarch Butterflies

Our milkweed bed was pretty overgrown with weeds when we got home from our trip to NY,VT and TN. 2 months away during the spring, in Florida, is a long time.

Once I got all the weeds pulled, I looked the plants over for caterpillars. I found 22. All have become butterflies but 2. They should emerge in a day or two.

These are 2 of the ones I’ve released.

008cs

I set them on the Buddleia so they will know where it is the next day when they are hungry. I know they will find it by themselves, but I try to give them an easy start.

Their colors are so sharp and beautiful when they first emerge. This female is eating ….she must be one from yesterday’s release.

010cs

2 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful. I know they appreciated instant food source.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great.... you plan lesson for the two at day one!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate the time you take to make a comment......If you ask a question, I will try to answer it here.