Saturday, June 16, 2012

male Spicebush Swallowtail Butterfly

I don’t have a lot of blooming plants in my yard right now, but I have butterflies coming and going. The Bottlebrush plants continually put out blooms and the Buddleia plants. There are also a few wild Lantana. The Zebra Longwings hang out on those.

Two Spicebush Butterflies stopped today.

018cs

I followed them all over until this one finally settled down to sun itself.

023cs

The iridescent blue on the wings was much better than the photo shows it.

025cs

Their host plants can be Sweetbay Magnolia, Sassafras, and Tulip Tree. There are Magnolias in the area, perhaps they are Sweetbay.

I don’t see a lot of the Spicebush Swallowtails in the yard, but they do show up once in awhile. Beautiful contrast of blue and black.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate the time you take to make a comment......If you ask a question, I will try to answer it here.