I received my new hood and smoker for working with the hive. Jim took the pictures after I “suited” up to check it out.
Once the bees settled down a little I removed the empty super where I had been feeding and checked to see if the bees were doing anything. I was very disappointed to see there hadn’t been any work on the frames. No wax build up or honey storage. Nothing but a small clump of bees near the jar of sugar water.
I guess most of the bees that have been coming to eat are “robber bees” from another hive, or there may be a wild hive nearby. In my research I learned that “robber bees’ will sometimes kill the queen, and the swarm was too small to guard it and keep them out.
I practiced working with the smoker for a few minutes.
I am going to continue feeding the few that are left inside….I doubt they will make it. And of course, the “robbers”. Maybe when their hive gets too large they will remember where this one is.
I will clean it out when they are gone and get it ready for spring. Perhaps a swarm will find it and decide to move in.