Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hag Moth Larvae / Monkey Slug

At least, I think that is what this is. I’ve been through all the caterpillar pictures on www.bugguide.net and this is the closest I can come to it.008cs

It was  on a cherry bush that my sister, JoAnne, gave me. I’m not sure what kind  of cherry it is.

012cs

It’s quite small…perhaps 1/2 to 3/4 in long.

I clipped the bush and put it in a container…..

I found this listed under “stinging caterpillars”….don’t think I will pet it to find out.013cs

The feet are like little suctions. Watch it climb up the inside of a jar.

After making the video, I put it back on the bush. 

I am amazed at all the different insects, animals and birds I see in my backyard, here in the Hammock. We have 5 acres but only about 1/4 is cleared and that is where most of my pictures have been taken. Guess I need to get out the hiking boots and the machete and see what I can find out there.

I think a digital camera would be a wonderful gift for a kid.  Encourage them to take pictures of every insect or critter  or unusual or pretty flower and then spend some time on the computer looking them up and learning about them.

4 comments:

  1. That is So Weird! Isn't the internet wonderful to find out about this?

    I agree that kids with cameras is a GReat idea. They see the world so differently than adults. Should be promoted but then some camera company gets rich off the idea. Better to give kids donated cameras. I mean, just what do people do with all their outdated cameras when they buy new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wicked cool! Talk about evolving an effectively deterrent appearance. I wouldn't pet it either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Good thing it's no bigger!

    Putting a camera in a kid's hand is such a wonderful way to help them really see the world around them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate the time you take to make a comment......If you ask a question, I will try to answer it here.