Saturday, September 12, 2009

Great Golden Digger Wasp

While following the butterflies around the yard, I spotted this big, unusual looking wasp on my bottlebrush. It’s amazing how many different kinds of wasps can be found there…along with the honeybees and butterflies.012cs

I was surprised at how big it is. Perhaps  an inch and a half long…At first it didn’t like me following it around but finally settled down long enough for a few shots.018cs

After getting a picture, I immediately checked  www.BugGuide.net.   I am pretty sure it is a Great Golden Digger Wasp. A predator wasp. Very beneficial for gardens. This one didn’t look exactly like the one in their photo.019cs

But this one did, and it looks like the one above except for some coloring. So…perhaps I had a male and a female, or a juvenile, if they have such things. 035cs

It buzzed me a few times but didn’t try to sting or anything. I’ll be watching for it from now on.  My bottlebrush had 3 kinds of butterflies, at least 3 kinds of wasps, honeybees and the Amberwing Dragonfly….all at the same time. It was really humming.

8 comments:

  1. Great shots. That flower really attracts a lot of different insects. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a serious sized Wasp Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a big wasp. Glad you didn't get stung.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful shots! I would love to have a bottlebrush bush like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couple of big ones there. I wouldn't want to upset them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are quite brave! I don't particularly care what types of wasps there are, because I'm to chicken to chase!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Carol--great shots! Isn't BugGuide fun?! I chuckled a bit about the buzzing, but not stinging, because if it had buzzed me, I would have run away looking very ridiculous. Glad you hung in there for these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really am loving your blog and photos and hope to be back again and again.
    i see that you lived in a truck for a bit...do u still do that?
    I live full time in an Rv..wonderful lifestyle..
    see u again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate the time you take to make a comment......If you ask a question, I will try to answer it here.